Monday, March 31, 2014

3.31

Wow what a mess!  Today I have been spending my day managing Eriq's school assignments.  He's still sooo far behind, I'm not sure that he can honestly get back to the place where he needs to be to finish 8th grade.

Last week Jim got a call from the head of the behavior school Eriq attends warning that Eriq will need to look for other schooling because of his disruptive behavior in the classroom.  I guess during the school day he was with the high school or older kids and was constantly distributive so they moved him into the classroom with the little kids, where he continued to be distributive.  He said something about throwing crayons and antagonizing the other kids.  Jim called him and got him to allow Eriq a second chance to remain in the school, but it's a thin rope I suspect. Jim and I talked to Eriq after school and asked how his day was.  He response was good. He obviously didn't know the school called to let us know what was really happening in the classroom.  We talked about what's going on during the day, including why he isn't getting assignments completed, why he is misbehaving and for once I suspect we are getting honest answers.  Eriq said that he isn't doing the school work because he is busy talking to his friends and acts like he is doing it so the teachers don't know he isn't.  I asked about the misbehavior and Eriq said that he misbehaves because was wants the attention of the other students and misbehaves because they laugh and he likes when they are paying attention to him.  That is soooo not ADHD in my opinion.  If he is doing it because he wants to isn't that something more like B.A.D?  I have new initials to describe the disorder he has!

Jim and I talked about it privately and he seems so indecisive about the trouble with Eriq.  He just says "I don't know what to do", "I'm not sure", "I wish I knew what to do" and more statements of indecisiveness.  It's exhausting dealing with Eriq, and Jim so indecisively.  After the call from the school about misbehaving and the lack of effort on assignments, I made the decision to withdraw Eriq from baseball this spring season.  I figured I paid for it (Jim was laid off at that point) so I have the right to end it.  Jim didn't seem happy with my decision but I wasn't concerned.  I think Jim wants Eriq to play, but I'm not sure that Eriq even wants to play.  If Jim isn't going to make the decision, I will.  What does it take for Jim to see the reality of this child?

We are working on school lessons all night, yet Eriq seems to get very little done.  He is taking DAYS to complete one lesson and is so far behind.  I called the school and spoke to the counselor who said that Eriq needs a B or a C in both the 3rd and 4th grading periods to pass the 8th grade.  I just don't know if it's possible.  I wonder every day if he can't do the work...maybe the counselor or psychiatrist is right and he is ADHD.  Then I see that when he was supposed to be doing computer lessons he was looking up colleges, or when he was supposed to be doing his science, he was coloring, or when he was supposed to be doing the math he was drawing pictures.  He isn't applying effort and that's why the work isn't getting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment